Thursday, September 27, 2007

Thursday's Child

Who wrote that poem about children and the days of the week? I want to know what he used as his reference…high priestess, devil? How dare you label a child at birth? That poem though seems more accurate than any horoscope I've ever read. I recently spent an evening introducing myself to a caregiver support network. As they posed questions, I responded quite honestly on any relevant life experience. Their response was a unanimous, Don’t you do anything in a simple manner? All I could say was, what do you expect, Thursday child.

I remember that poem as a child. My mom repeatedly told me I was from the school of hard knocks, then she’d recite that verse again to me “Thursday’s child has far to go”.

I know I’ve never been one trapped inside of the box, most days I have problems finding the box. Have I really been that bad in life? Have I really been so bizarre?

For many years I assumed my life’s struggles were due to addiction, but that hasn’t been an excuse in over 15 years. I definitely have some vivid experiences, but not all of my doing. Not all have been self-inflicted.

I was just taken back a bit when I heard their comments about my life after my introduction. I expect it from some sources, ie. PTA meetings, Parent Teacher Conferences. I just never expected a room of caregivers to ridicule me about the way I’ve lived my life.

I’ve grown accustomed to my unconventional methods, I enjoy life searching for the box that so many cannot reach outside of. I intend to live my life to the fullest. As Erma Bombeck wrote, when they take me out, I will have used up every last bit of gifts given to me in this life.

Would I be this way if I had been born on any other day of the week? Who knows. Thursday’s child may have far to go, but in the process may have more to offer others.

No comments: