Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Time to Grow Up, Let Go!

During a recent visit to an elderly friend, I saw photos all over the room of his granddaughter. In any normal situation that would be expected, however, since the child's birth others have bought gifts for the girl since her mother wanted NOTHING to do with her father.

As his health has declined over the last few years, everyone has pitched in to assist with his care. He's lived with us for a time, then came to visit weekly. Now that he is reaching the final stages of his condition, his daughter has visited him once, after thinking it was all made up, exaggerated to get her attention. She showed up with pictures of her daughter, whom he doesn't recognize or remember. He cannot remember his daughter's name at this point because the distance has been so long between them.

I was appalled when I walked in to find pictures she supplied, yet the photo he's had for years of his mother, is set sideways on a table behind a box of tissue, while her daughter is on display for all to see.

How can people live with themselves when they have absolutely no substance at all. Everything in life to them is a SHOW. That's what I see when I think of her. I'm angry with her because my family has put their lives on hold to care for HER father, without even a thought to involve herself. The only involvement I've seen is when there is an audience, when others might think badly of her behavior. More so than angry, I feel sorry for her. She thinks the world revolves around her existence. She believes the world falls for her public persona, that the world is HER stage.

I can say from experience, that losing a parent with unresolved issues is a painful path to take. Lack of closure wounds deep, and for some doesn't heal. I know that we'll be hearing from her after her father is gone, wondering what happened. Until now, everyone has given her the pity she is looking for, listened to her excuses for not being there in a time of need, all the while talking about her, wondering what happened to her. I don't envy her or anyone in that situation, but I have no compassion for those whose own selfish behavior leads them to this position in life. I've been very clear, that I won't say anything to her, but I don't plan to help pick up the pieces for her self-induced, destructive ways.

I would hope that people would realize sometimes there are no second chances, and actions DO SPEAK LOUDER than your words. If found in this situation, don't fool yourself into believing that everyone is falling for your world of make believe. Realize YOU are the fool, not everyone else. Better yet, get over whatever it is that happened in the past, let it go, and forgive. Try to hold onto the notion that they did the best they could with what they had at the time as there is no way to turn back the hands of time.

2 comments:

Susan Higgins said...

What a great post... it sounds like a parallel in my own life!

My cousin treats her dad the same exact way that you described. She rarely visits. Her kids pictures are prominently displayed around his bed while his family pictures are tucked behind a box or a huge picture of his granddaughter that he never sees.

Bums me out. I am the only one who visits him and takes him out. Since my mom came down with LBD it's way too hard for me to do it all by myself. He has a phone in his room, next to his bed that my husband pays for him to have. He calls my mom, his sister on occasion, on his good days.

I loved this post. Thank you for writing it.

Unknown said...

I think what bugs me most is that everyone wants to be so neutral in their comments, and don't want to upset anyone, so she just doesn't get it. I get the emails and ragfests of their frustration, yet if I say ANYTHING I'm the bad guy for not liking her. I don't really care one way or another about her. I tried to be close to her, but in her attempt at "self-importance" takes 2-3 weeks to respond to anything, and I reached a point that she's just not all that to me. It's sickning how anyone can be so cold, callous yet clueless. I don't know if she has been drinking the kool-aid she's been trying to hand out to everyone else or just thinks everyone is so stupid they don't see it. First one to walk away, but first in line for credit due. I follow the help or get the hell out of the way path, so I've given up on her. Her brother seems to think she has seen the error of her ways and is trying to help. I just mumble under my breath (yeah, herself.)