Friday, August 10, 2007

Why Do The Good Die Young?

While doing my usual scans of other's blogs, I came across one so touching that I added it to my MUST READ list. His entry was about a storm, the force of mother nature and how it puts life in perspective. What I failed to see, was the entry was from a dying man. He so graciously visited my site after receiving my comment. We've exchanged a couple of emails and comments now.

Today, I was surprised to see an email from what feels a old friend. I had mentioned in a message about our experience when the boys' father passed away. He responded asking some personal questions about our experience.

I'm unsure what length of time he has remaining on this earth, but do hope he sticks around for awhile. I was honest in my responses that although I understood their father's choice, that he had endured all the pain he could stand and his quality of life was going to diminish so greatly that he hardly considered it a life.

With most of my posts, the last thing I expected was an email from someone asking me my thoughts as a loved one left behind how difficult it was on me. I always thought I'd fill a void of Erma Bombeck, not Oprah.

I do hope my newfound friend chooses to hang around with us for awhile still, but I did assure him that the selfishness in the human nature doesn't make that journey easy for either side.

Based upon my experiences lately with many people, I'm left wondering where did our quality of life really go? I didn't see any quality in the people I passed, and most of them didn't seem worthy of being missed...so why is it someone that inspires others is taken so soon, while others, fester, recreate, and cause general misery to those around them for many, many, many years.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I have often struggled with that question myself...and I don't have any easy answer to it. Today I wrapped myself around an old book~To Kill a Mockingbird...and that helped a little bit. To submerge yourself into a story where integrity against all opposition runs true..it reminded me of the me I used to be...before life's grinding wheel wore me down. I really can't understand yet why life has dealt me the cards I hold, but I'm trying to hold on to that core of inner honor, and believe that it does hold weight in this world.

Unknown said...

I would rather live my life thinking that is true, than to find out when I leave this life that I should have. Although I feel every one has their own lifepath, it still sucks when you see a good person suffer, while others seem to get everything they could ever hope for or dream of.

Thanks for stopping by.