Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Gone But Never Forgotten

It's always a shock to the system to run into a ghost from our past. Recently I ran into an elderly gentleman at the gym who looked so much like my long lost grandfather. Grandpa was the most loved individual taken from me when I was a young child. Although he passed many years ago, I still see signs of him usually on the anniversary of his passing, and usually when I pause from the chaos of a normal day to remember him. He has shown me pictures in the clouds, a happy thought, or just a calm happy feeling. Never have I seen anyone who resembled his physical form in all of these years. Just seeing the man at the gym filled me with a happiness from my youth. It made me drift down memory lane.

Grandma and Grandpa lived halfway between school and home. Every Friday afternoon I stopped by to visit. He seemed to wait for my arrival. We would venture across the street to the neighborhood candy store, where we chose something from all of the many types of sweets available. As a child, it felt like a trip to visit Willie Wonka. I still cherish those simple memories of time spent with Grandpa.

Seeing him at the gym the other day, my eyes lit up much like they did on those careless Friday afternoons. To me, it was yet another sign that although no longer here, he always remains close to my heart.

Each and everytime a departed loved one has made their presence known to me, it has brought a sense of relief or answers. It's also brought a sense of calm to my hectic world.

No comments: