Thursday, August 16, 2007

My question was answered and it doesn't look good

Today was such a sad awakening. Everyone has been in awe of my sister in law, living in a prestigious neighborhood, beautiful home, lavish lifestyle. This week I've been spending my days visiting, assisting in taking care of my niece. What more could I ask for, right? Honestly, I don't believe her life is any happier than mine, and I found myself less than envious of her life.

Her neighbor's house was TP'd. Nothing different than what I've seen this summer in neighborhoods close to my home. Her neighbor, a retired NFL player, who I've had the chance to meet, chat with when I'm taking my niece for walks. Great guy, he and his wife seem focused on their family. The funny thing though, that's the only known celebrity in the area, yet his family is the only one I've come across on my adventures. Sure there are numerous playgrounds built around their community, but from all appearance it seems a ghost town. The only signs of life would be a TP'd house and graffiti laced sidewalks.

It would seem that these families live in their massive, controlled air environment, never having to step out into the world around them. It would appear that they hide in their own little world, letting no one in or out. I don't get it. No cars on the streets, no kids in the parks, only a few dogs, which I was surprised would be allowed in that environment.

So, I guess this answers my dilemma from a few days past, when I wondered how the dogs and children seemed so happy, yet the adults seemed so self-absorbed. The kids and dogs are so excited for their brief escape, to breath real air, instead of canned. The adults, are so used to being locked away in their own virtual world, safely locked inside their man made prison, that they have no clue how to interact with those in the real society. They've only chatted on-line, communicating with co-workers via remote offices using email and teleconferencing to accomplish any sense of teamwork.

Is this how we prepare for the next stage of human development. Maybe all of those science fiction flicks weren't so outlandish, as it would seem they are becoming more of a reality. So sad the state of human nature today, how we are cutting ourselves off from civilization.

No comments: