Monday, July 09, 2007

Ewww...Creepy Crawling Creatures

What has happened to me? I was one of the dainty little girls that screamed and cried at the sight of anything slithery or slimy in nature. My brother used this fear to his advantage many times as it was a sure way to excuse himself from a pesty little sister that wanted to tag along.

I'm looking at my latest addition to our household...Jaba. She believes that she is a fericious beast, staring with her menacing eyes. When that doesn't create fear in those who dare to approach her kingdom, her tail whips wildly, lashing out at anything that approaches.

For the longest time I had people convinced that my reptilian friends were pets of my sons, looking at people in ridicule for not putting that basic deduction together. Somehow my secret was leaked unsuspectedly to the outside world. Since then I've become proud of my fascination with those four legged creatures I once loathed. I've overcome my fear, and can now enjoy those moments when my sons' bring some new animal they've found in the nearby hills.

Our latest adventure has been watching the birthing process of frogs. Watching for weeks as he transformed from fish to amphibian. I would have never been able to stomach that had my sons' not helped me overcome the fears of days past.

Don't congratulate me quite yet, my newfound confidence is evident only with some four legged creatures. I've once been stranded, frozen in fear, terrified of the fericious branch in the grass. To my defense, I swore it moved, slithering up the hill towards my youngest child and myself. His older brothers were slow to rescue us. I'm not sure what kept them, maybe it was the uncontrollable laughter of seeing my dire situation.

No comments: