Monday, July 09, 2007

Ozzie and Sharon?

I always had such lofty goals for family life...move over Beav; Ozzie is no match. I was thinking of Ozzie with Harriett, not Ozzie and Sharon. Noticing changes with my sons, which saddened me recently. The two that were closest couldn't be farther apart now, the one I thought a people pleaser, is VERY independent, the shy one is now Mr. Popularity, while the one I always saw as a leader, is turning into such a follower.

Call it my mother's intuition, my sixth sense so to say, I could feel the distance last night. Things just not quite right. I saw the "outcast" with his arms crossed, mumbling under his breath, rolling his eyes in frustration. Closing himself off. With my full fledged paranoia, I start questioning, and requestioning trying to make sure everything was fine. Although I heard agreeable answers to my many questions, I wasn't convinced.

As they began wrapping up the day, making their way towards bed, I slipped quietly into each room for a final check. That's when it was brought to my attention the miscommunication and the walls that can be built because of it. The outcast chooses his friends over his brothers because he ONLY likes skateboarding and NO ONE will go with him. Why won't they go I wondered...duh, because everyone else has two left feet. So, why doesn't he play guitar with his brother anymore...again, duh, because he doesn't have the musical ear shared by his brothers. The one with the most natural gift, takes control of iTunes learning new songs at an astounding rate. Instead of choosing songs that they both know, he finds it as his time to show off.

It's my hope that they can all just learn to get along...all inclusive. No matter what happens in life, you should always have your siblings. Hopefully they figure this out. Until then, I guess I'll have to get used to the modern day Ozzie and Sharon.

No comments: