Tuesday, July 10, 2007

When Did Eddie Haskell Become the Poster Child for Normal?

The most important thing I hope for my children is that they stand up for themselves, think independently, not just follow someone blindly. Apparently that is not the model of today's education system.

I've observed what today's teachers classify as "normal". It is Eddie Haskell. Who'd think that a conniving, sneaky, kiss up would be the model for the next generation, but that's what I've seen.

Watching the kids together, you see an innocent enough looking boy. She is blinded by his halo which seems to disguise the horns that are just below the surface. The teacher's head turns, I'm assuming because looking too long would burn the retnia of the eye, this same angelic child uses foul language, pushes others, and bullies those around him.

How can the teachers be fooled by this child? How can they truly appreciate a child like this; kind to your face, bully behind your back? My theory, they see what they want to see, and it makes their job easier.

Maybe it's not such a bad thing that my sons are not classified as "Normal". For the longest time I beat myself up. I'm healthy, intelligent, socially accepted. How could my kids be anything other than normal. Now, after witnessing the new standard of normal I'm relieved. I'd much rather have a child that stands up for himself, treats others fairly, and kisses up to no one; instead staying true to himself. So, until we can reach a common ground, I am NOT raising my boys to be what educators may see as "NORMAL".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

Unknown said...

Well, I'm sure we've all dealt with an Eddie Haskell at some point, the syndrome is still alive and well. Glad you liked it. Thanks for coming by to visit.