Tuesday, July 10, 2007

What Happened to Immortal?

I was just slapped in the face with the fact that all of us are mortal. We all have a life path, and no one gets to change the rules. For some reason, growing up in a small community, I felt that all of us, in the graduating class of 1981 would somehow beat the odds, live forever.

Suddenly, I wake up, 25 years later when an invitation to my class reunion arrived in the mail. Skimming through most of it, I reminised a bit about the glory days that never truly were. Then, I turn to the last page to find out about the donation request for a Memorial wall. That's when I froze. Memorial walls aren't necessary after a mere 25 years. Sure, some of the rougher schools may have them, but not mine. No one could be taken. Instead, to my disbelief, not just one person passed, but nine. Out of that, three were the best and brightest my graduating class had to offer the world.

Suddenly I see a name, rubbing my eyes in total shock and sadness. Bryan, why would Bryan be taken from the world so young? He, in my total misfitted teenage years was a bright star that shined. When I wanted to feel sorry for myself for the additional weight packed on from emotional scars, he would appear, playing basketball, on crutches to balance himself on one leg. When I felt no one in the world could understand my pain; he would share the experience of doctors telling his family that he would die of cancer, but they could save him if they allowed the professionals to amputate his leg.

Apparently the cancer returned shortly after we left high school. He was able to finish college and marry his college sweetheart, but he was taken so very soon. There were so many dreams left to imagine, so many goals left to attain.

I understand the life paths, and the choices made prior to birth, but as a mere mortal, it still leaves a hole, a sadness and grief. Although I know in my heart, he's in a much better place, the selfish side wishes we could return to those carefree days, just one more time. Enjoy your moments, even when they seem so insignificant, they add up to create a wonderful picture of what life is all about. We are not immortal, we all have our moment in time. It seems true what they say about the brightest stars burning out the quickest. My graduating class is mourning the loss of three of our brightest stars.

No comments: